Urinary infection is one of the most common infections that people suffer from. With bacteria present around the vagina, rectum, or the skin it gets into the urine and travels into the bladder causing infection. These are more common in women as they have shorter urethras making it easier for the bacteria to reach the bladder.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can cause a wide range of symptoms. These include:
- Irritation and redness in the bladder lining or urethra.
- Irritation can further cause pain in the lower abdomen pelvic area.
- UTI can affect the lower back leading to frequent urine sensations.
- Pain or burning sensation while urinating.
- Irritation in the bladder can lead to an increased urge to urinate yet only a few drops of urine might actually come out.
- Losing control and leading to leakage of a few drops of urine.
- A significant change in urine smell.
Furthermore, when the urinary tract is infected, these bacteria can spread through the body and cause other health problems like kidney problem too.
In case of severe problems like constant irritation, blood, or fever you must discuss it with a urinary tract infections specialist in Chennai. They can help you analyse the infection through a urine sample. Your specialist might even suggest a urine culture test that helps identify yeast and bacteria in the urine causing the condition.
The UTI problem treatment depends on the cause and the severity of the infection-
Simple UTI- It can be cured with a few corrective measures. A few cases might require a regular course of antibiotics to ensure that the UTI is well-treated. Also, staying hydrated is an effective measure to treat UTI problems. For women with UTI after menopause, it can be treated with the replacement of vaginal hormones with estrogen.
Complicated UTI- In case of severe UTI, doctors prescribe a longer course and duration of antibiotics. A few instances may also require antibiotic therapy in a hospital. Also, kidney infections can take place due to complicated UTIs. It can lead to high fever and pain in the upper back. It may also cause vomiting and nausea. A crucial and life-threatening condition, it requires immediate attention to avoid the spread of infection into the bloodstream.
Prevention methods for UTI
Medical attention is one of the familiar and popular ways to treat UTIs. Additionally, there are a few other ways that can help prevent UTIs:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse.
- Keep your genital area clean and dry.
- Type of birth control like a diaphragm and foam increases the chances of urinary tract infection. It is best to discuss the different birth controls with the best Urogynecologist in Chennai.
- Cranberry juice can help you prevent UTIs.
Statistics suggest that about 60% of women and 12% of men suffer from urinary infections at some point in their lives. It can be an incredibly uncomfortable and inconvenient situation. If you are experiencing any symptoms of a urinary infection, it is vital to seek medical help or get urinary incontinence treatment in Chennai right away. There are many effective treatments available, and with the help of your doctor, you can get relief quickly.