Fibroids are benign tumors that grow on the lining of the uterus or outside of it. There are different types of fibroids classified depending on the place they grow. To know more on types of fibroids, you can refer to the following article:
Some fibroids don’t show any symptoms. They don’t cause any pain either. However, some fibroids as they grow large can cause severe pain. Symptoms of fibroids can be:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Spotting between periods
- Having periods for longer than usual number of days.
- Severe pelvic pain and pressure on the internal organs
- Lower back pain
- Abdominal bloating (due to the growth of fibroids)
- Pain when having sex
- Frequent urination (probably due to the pressure exerted by them on the bladder).
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, it is important you should see a good urologist or a urogynecologist near you to diagnose the problem.
Home treatment for fibroid pain
You can only manage symptoms up to a smaller extent using home remedies but you cannot completely get rid of fibroids. Taking pain killers such as ibuprofen, using heating pads and massaging the area will only provide temporary relief from the pain.
Some other home remedies for treating fibroid pain include:
- Eating healthy food rich in fruits and vegetables, lean meat.
- Avoid refined sugar products, refined carbohydrates as they can make the pain more severe.
- Avoid alcohol, consume milk, curd and other dairy products every day.
- Taking iron and Vitamin B supplements to help you gain back the lost blood.
- Regular workout and maintaining optimal body weight.
- Avoid stress, whether it may be due to the family issues or work. Opt for relaxation therapy or yoga for a peaceful mind.
Medical Treatment options for fibroids
Once you present yourself to your urologist with symptoms, he/she may put you on to medications to regulate the menstrual cycles and avoid excessive bleeding and pain. These medications regulate the hormones in your body. They may include:
- Oral contraceptives
- IUD – Intra Uterine Devices that release progestin
- Gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists or antagonists.
You must note that, these hormone related medicines can only relieve you of some symptoms but will not get rid of the fibroids that are the root cause of the symptoms. The ultimate way to get rid of the symptoms is to get rid of the fibroids that involve a surgery called ‘Myomectomy’.
Non surgical procedure called ‘Uterine Artery Embolization’ may also be opted by your specialist if he/she feels that it is a better approach. Embolization will cut off the oxygen supply to the fibroids as a result of which they shrink in size. Other non surgical procedures such as Myolysis and Cryomyolysis may also be performed to shrink the fibroids. In Myolysis, electric current or a laser is used to shrink the fibroids. In Cryomyolysis, the fibroids are frozen.
These procedures may get rid of the fibroids but can’t guarantee any non-recurrence. In order to completely get rid of fibroids, hysterectomy may also be done if you present to yourself to the urologist multiple times with fibroids. This procedure will be done only for women who are not expecting any children in the future because, hysterectomy involves removal of uterus or even the entire female reproductive system inside the body including ovaries, cervix and the uterus.
When should you not opt for home remedies and see a urologist for treating fibroids?
If you are suffering from any of the following, it is best for you to see a doctor immediately:
- Heavy and prolonged periods.
- Spotting between periods
- Severe pelvic pain and pain in the lower back
- Frequent urination and pain during urination.
Why you must choose only the best urologist for treating fibroids?
If your fibroids are small, you may not experience any symptoms. But if you are experiencing symptoms, you must see an experienced urologist because, if a surgical procedure needs to be done to get rid of the fibroids, that involves risk of uterine scaring. Uterine scaring can lead to infertility. So, only a highly experienced urologist can pick the right treatment for you and do it with utmost perfection so that the other organs in your pelvis region are not affected.
If you are suffering from fibroids pain and want to see the best urologists in Chennai, you may write to us for an appointment by filling the form below (on mobile) or on to your right (on desktop) or you can call our front desk at +91 909 284 9786