What are Urogynaecological Problems?
Urogynaecological problems happen due to a collapsed pelvic floor. The pelvic floor is a band of muscles that contains both the female reproductive and urinary systems. Within it are the uterus, vagina, rectum and bladder.
Heavy lifting, chronic disease, surgery or childbirth are some of the causes that can lead to a damaged pelvic floor. A damaged or collapsed pelvic floor leads to the following conditions:
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI):
UTIs happen when the urinary tract becomes infected by bacteria that enter from the urethra.
- Urinary incontinence:
Urinary incontinence occurs due to poor coordination between the bladder and the urethra.
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse:
Pelvic organ prolapse is caused by the pelvic organs dropping from their original position in the pelvis. This is because of weakened pelvic floor muscles which are incapable of supporting the organs.
How Do You Know If You Have Urogynaecological Problems?
Urogynaecological problems need treatment from a medical professional. The different conditions have different symptoms.
Urinary tract infections have the following symptoms:
- Pelvic pain.
- Frequent urination.
- Pain with urination and blood in the urine.
Urinary incontinence has several symptoms including:
- Leaking urine when coughing, sneezing or laughing.
- Sudden urges to urinate.
- Waking up at night to urinate.
- Urinating during sleep.
Pelvic organ prolapse:
- Bulging in your vagina.
- Fullness or pressure in your pelvis.
- Pain in your low back.
Some common symptoms in all urogynaecological health problems are:
- Heaviness or aching in the vagina that worsens during a bowel movement
- Having difficulty peeing or emptying your bladder.
- Leaking pee when you cough or laugh.
- Feeling a frequent need to pee
Treatment for Urogynaecological Problems:
Women who have urogynaecological problems are given different treatments by their doctors depending on the severity of their cases. These are some of the common treatments provided by urogynaecologists:
- Injections for urinary incontinence and leakage
- For prolapse, a vaginal pessary.
- Pelvic floor muscle exercises.
If you have any urogynaecological problems, come to the Urogynaecology Clinic Chennai for treatment. We have experience in caring for patients with different kinds of urogynaecological problems, from pelvic prolapses to UTIs. This is the clinic for you if you want the best treatments in the city.