Uterine fibroids are growths made up of the muscle and connective tissue from the wall of the uterus and are usually not cancerous.
Fibroids can grow as a single bump or in a cluster. These clusters can range in size from 1 mm to more than 20 cm in diameter or even larger which can be as large as the size of a watermelon. These growths can take place within the wall of the uterus, or inside the cavity of the organ. It can also be on the external surface. They vary in size, number and location within and on the uterus.
However, many people don’t experience the symptoms. It happens when the fibroids are small and called asymptomatic as they don’t cause an unusual feeling.
Symptoms for uterine fibroids differ from one woman to another. Most fibroids do not cause any symptoms and don’t require treatment other than regular observation by a Urogynecologist. Larger fibroids can cause to experience a variety of symptoms like :
- Excessive or painful bleeding during menstruation.
- Severe menstrual cramps
- Frequent urination.
- Low back pain.
- Chronic vaginal discharge.
- Inability to urinate.
For women facing any of these symptoms, it is recommended to visit the best Urogynecologist in Chennai. Even the slightest changes to the health need to be informed to the doctor to prevent further risks.
Back pain due to Fibroids
A group of fibroids that grow on the back portion of the uterus and protrude outward can exert enough pressure on the lower spine to pinch nerves. It can cause lower back pain or pain in the legs and hips. A study found that more than 60% of women with uterine fibroids reported fibroid back pain besides constipation or bloating.
Many women report that their fibroid-related back pain was unwieldy. Doctors often try hormone therapy or over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce the symptoms. Oral contraceptives can shrink fibroids a bit and help lessen symptoms. The best urogynaecology doctors in Chennai suggest surgery when short-term remedies are not effective.
Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is a non-invasive and non-surgical procedure that many women are not offered as an option when they receive a fibroid diagnosis. This 45-minute procedure can be done under local anaesthesia in any hospital with the provision of fibroid removal treatment in Chennai.
Surgery to remove the uterus or to target and remove fibroids one at a time are invasive procedures that come with risks, long recoveries, and removed or compromised wombs. However, this may be medically necessary for about 10% of patients, for the remaining 90% of patients surgery is not a must.
Hence, women may have fibroids on different parts of the uterus, all growing at different rates and causing various issues. It also includes affecting their chances of getting pregnant.
Fibroids are a common problem in women, and the chances of having them are even higher. If not treated promptly, fibroid pain worsen and can lead to more complicated issues.